Hi! My name is Bianca. I’m a designer specialising in typography, type design, and type technology, and currently work at Spotify as a Staff Typographer.
Previously, I worked for over a decade at Dalton Maag where I provided creative direction on brand typefaces and complex type systems for international clients such as Amazon, AT+T, BBC, FedEx, Indeed, Jacobs Engineering Group, Google, and Truist.
I frequently speak at international design, technology and UX conferences. I’m a member of the Unicode Consortium and I participate in the W3C Web Fonts Working Group.
I’m also an active member of Alphabettes, an organisation dedicated to supporting and promoting women in the type industry. As part of this network, I founded a mentorship program designed to introduce students and new professionals to the industry.
Please email at helloREMOVE@bberning.com.
- Will Color Fonts unlock a new level of expression for web typography? • March 2021
- Representing Alphabets • September 2020
- Variable fonts’ past, present and future • February 2020
- Enhancing the On-Screen Reading Experience With Variable Fonts • January 2019
- Reading On Screen • April 2018
- Typographic Potential of Variable Fonts • June 2017
- Emoji Ambivalence • January 2017
- Language as Design Criteria? Introduction • April 2016
- Language as Design Criteria? German Language • April 2016
- Language as Design Criteria? Slavic Languages • May 2016
Embrace the Limitations of the Human Eye and Brain to Foster Accessibility
Design Matters, Tokyo • May 2022
beyond tellerrand, Düsseldorf • November 2021
How can type influence how we design written communication?
ECAL Research Day 2019, Lausanne • November 2019
The Potential of Variable Fonts
nordic.design, Stockholm • September 2018
Ampersand, Brighton • June 2018
Software-agnostic Font Development
Robothon, Den Haag • March 2018
The myths and merits of job titles
ATypI, Montréal • September 2017
- What The Government Doesn’t Want You to Know About Variable Fonts
ISType, Istanbul • June 2017
The Future of Web Typography
Pixel Pioneers • May 2022
Variable Fonts’ Past, Present and Future
It’s Nice That • February 2020
- Are We Entering a Typographic Revolution?
Clearleft • June 2018