As a creative based at the intersection of typography, type design and technology I see myself responsible for amplifying the messages of written communication. Within my current role as creative director at font foundry Dalton Maag I enjoy getting to the core of a company’s culture and helping them find their very own tone of voice.
Having competed in team sports since my early childhood, collaboration and the exchange of skills have always been vital to my approach to design as well. I believe as creative leaders we have the responsibility to nurture talent, pass on knowledge, and inspire efforts of others whenever we have the chance.
As an active member of Alphabettes, a network to support and promote the work of women in the type industry, I consequently founded a mentorship program with the aim to help people, especially students and professional newcomers, immerse themselves in the industry.
My public speaking résumé is extensive and includes talks at events like Ampersand, ATypI conference, Automatic Type Design, Dynamic Font Day, ICTVC, ISType, Nordic Design, Robothon, and TYPO Labs.
I am a member of the Association Typographique Internationale (ATypI) and the Unicode Consortium. I am also part of a group of experts in the field of font technology who are concerned with the specification of OpenType Font Variations (better known as variable fonts).
- Enhancing the On-Screen Reading Experience With Variable Fonts • January 2019
- Reading On Screen • April 2018
- Typographic Potential of Variable Fonts • June 2017
- Emoji Ambivalence • January 2017
- Language as Design Criteria? Introduction • April 2016
- Language as Design Criteria? German Language • April 2016
- Language as Design Criteria? Slavic Languages • May 2016
- Nordic Design, Stockholm • September 2018
- ATypI, Antwerp • September 2018
- Ampersand, Brighton • June 2018
- TYPO Labs, Berlin • April 2018
- Robothon, Den Haag • March 2018
- ATypI, Montréal • September 2017
- ISType, Istanbul • June 2017
- TYPO Labs, Berlin • April 2017
- Dynamic Font Day, Munich • November 2016
- Automatic Type Design 2, Nancy • November 2016
- ATypI, Warsaw • September 2016
- ICTVC, Thessaloniki • July 2016
- BTS Away Days, Berlin • July 2016
- Type Lab at Typographics, New York • June 2016