I am a creative director specialising in the design of typefaces for international brands.
In 2011, I completed the MA Typeface Design program at the
University of Reading and joined London-based type design studio Dalton Maag, where I began as a type designer and later focused on the technical aspects as Head of the Skills & Process department, responsible for training and development and for improving font development processes.
Since being appointed Creative Director in 2018, I have been responsible for ensuring the company stays at the forefront of typographic innovation. I provided creative direction on brand typefaces and complex type systems for international clients such as Amazon, AT+T, BBC, FedEx, Indeed, Jacobs Engineering Group, Google, and Truist, and supervised the design and refinement of countless wordmarks and font modifications.
I am also an active member of Alphabettes, an organisation dedicated to supporting and promoting women in the type industry. As part of this network, I founded a mentorship program designed to introduce students and new professionals to the industry.
Please email at helloREMOVE@bberning.com.
- Will Color Fonts unlock a new level of expression for web typography? • March 2021
- Representing Alphabets • September 2020
- Variable fonts’ past, present and future • February 2020
- Enhancing the On-Screen Reading Experience With Variable Fonts • January 2019
- Reading On Screen • April 2018
- Typographic Potential of Variable Fonts • June 2017
- Emoji Ambivalence • January 2017
- Language as Design Criteria? Introduction • April 2016
- Language as Design Criteria? German Language • April 2016
- Language as Design Criteria? Slavic Languages • May 2016
Embrace the Limitations of the Human Eye and Brain to Foster Accessibility
Design Matters, Tokyo • May 2022
beyond tellerrand, Düsseldorf • November 2021
How can type influence how we design written communication?
ECAL Research Day 2019, Lausanne • November 2019
The Potential of Variable Fonts
nordic.design, Stockholm • September 2018
Ampersand, Brighton • June 2018
Software-agnostic Font Development
Robothon, Den Haag • March 2018
The myths and merits of job titles
ATypI, Montréal • September 2017
- What The Government Doesn’t Want You to Know About Variable Fonts
ISType, Istanbul • June 2017